Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rapid Evolution of Computers (Chicago)

I was startled when I saw this Commodore model of computer in the office of one of my clients. He was using this sophisticated electronic machine in his business a long time ago. Now, this machine is just lying in his office and is generally no used today.

Rapid evolution of Computer model is really amazing. More than two decades ago, business people were using Commodore, TRS 80 (black and white), and GENIE I/II (Monochrome). On the table, you can see the commodore computer, dot matrix printer, diskette rack for 5 1/4" floppy disk (really flimsy!) and a cassette recorder for storing/ retrieving programs in a cassette tape. It reminds me of the early 80's when I was still working at the computer science center as laboratory assistant, I was using these old models of computer. I used to store my programs in a cassette tape or in a floppy diskette. I used to erase the data stored in a floppy disk by using the magnet. We don't use them anymore. They're obsolete!

Nowadays, most people are using laptops for their business. Laptop is very handy. You can bring and use them anywhere you want to go.





No comments: